1. The sound is very rhythmic, which is like. I do not know what the source is, but this does not bother me. It is not calming, but it is interesting to listen to. I find myself synthesizing other rhythms in my head that could go along with these rhythms. I have no problem classifying this as music.
After looking at source: knowing the source didn’t alter my perception.
2. This sounds like water rushing, which has always been a very calming sound to me. It is not annoying. I could definitely listen to it for a while and remain calm. I don’t think I would define it as music or art because it is already present in nature and is not a human creation.
After looking at the source: my perception wasn’t altered, but I enjoyed watching the video along with the sound.
3. To me this sounds like a Laundromat? Maybe a washer or dryer? It is very rhythmic and ambient. It is not annoying, I think because there are no sharp sounds that stick out in an obtrusive way. I think this is a “white noise” that many people would find relaxing and be able to fall asleep to.
After looking at the source: my perception wasn’t altered.
4. This sounds like heavy rain to me, which is one of my favorite sounds. It also sounds like static as well. This is definitely a calming sound.
After looking at the source: I am surprised that this is just static! Interesting how calming an “unwanted” noise can be.
5. I hear sounds of water rushing, bells, a sound similar to cars passing. It sounds maybe like I am standing at an intersection. There is no rhythm or structure to the sounds I am hearing and therefore I cannot find calmness in this sound.
After looking at the source: Knowing the source of the sounds made this feel less erratic.
6. There is a strange electronic drone in the background and sounds reminiscent of water sloshing in the foreground. Something about the sound makes me think of a horror movie. Not calming!
After looking at the source: I am less terrified now that I know where the sound is coming from – but at the same time I would be terrified if my dishwasher was making that sound!!